Thursday, November 06, 2008

Swing Voter

With great emotion, I happily bid this election season farewell. I am curious to see what Obama does in office... for better or worse. I am also relieved Prop 8 passed, as we were heavily involved with this grassroots movement. Regardless of how anyone voted, I am sure most people can agree with me that this election season was one historic and emotionally intense time.

Sadly, I have decided that I must gracefully withdraw my political registration as a Democrat. There is such a disparity between my conservative social views and the Democrat party that I feel like being a card carrying member doesn't quite fit anymore. Being a Democrat here in CA is A LOT different than being a member of the Democratic-Farmer-Laborer party in MN.

But, before all of you GOPers holler for joy that you won a Democrat over to your side, I must admit I can never be a registered Republican either. Those that know me well will also attest to the fact that I do *not* see eye-to-eye with the Republican party either. I will join my husband as being a completely independant voter - voting according to my conscience for who I think will be the best candidate for the job. And luckily, the Democratic party will still allow me, as a "decline to state" party member, to vote in their primaries.

I was listening to NPR today and am excited to hear that this decision - to become an independent voter - has made me a "swing voter." All parties will have to do their part to win my vote. I may have lost my "Minnesota Democrat" identity but have gained a new one of the "Swing Voter."

5 comments:

The Titmi said...

Heavily involved does not even come close to your involvement! You were amazing and we all owe you a debt of gratitude. THANK YOU!!!

Scott B. said...

Come join us in the little "l" libertarian world (non-party affiliated libertarians)...it's all milk and honey.

Kirbell said...

Yay for independents! Just remember to register as a Republican if you want to vote for a Republican in the Primaries, i.e. Mitt Romney. Although, that would have been evenc razier if Mitt had made it to the presidential race. Yikes!

Dead Seriously said...

Just remember to never, ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever, vote for Mitt Romney. Ever. Ever. Seriously. Ever.

Emily said...

YaY! I feel the same way about my republican status. I have become disenchanted with it. I will join you in our new independence in the independent party.:) BTW, I think we all sighed a relief with Prop 8. Those of us outside the state have been praying, and praying, and praying some more for all of our courageous Californian Brothers and Sisters. You all are amazing. My hat & gratitude is yours. Love you!