Tuesday, April 29, 2008

I Heart Good Deals

My friend Lindsay requested I keep making posts so everyone isn't left guessing as to whether or not our baby has decided to arrive. Thanks for the encouragement, Lindsay. I might as well keep blogging about our lives while we wait patiently for me to say to Lance "It's time."

Thanks to my other friend, Jenny, I have discovered the joy of garage saleing again. I went a few weekends ago with her and bought a HUGE bag of baby girl clothes for a very inexpensive price. Lance came home from taking Sofi to get a bath to find me sitting on the front porch grinning ear-to-ear with a large black garbage bag. I am very proud of my purchase. Once I washed everything up and sorted it, I discovered I won't really need to buy very many clothes until our little girl is past the 12 month size. And, most of the clothes were nice - a few Baby Gap dresses, Children's Place outfits and more gently used Carter's outfits than I would have ever purchased myself.

The problem is I now want to go garage saleing every weekend. There was such a thrill in finding a good deal, I can't seem to stop. Craig's List and the The Penny Saver have become my best friend. I even find myself wanting to go into stores just to peruse their clearance rack. I am sure many of you do this as well but for me this is odd. Our family tactic to save money is to just not go into stores. Luckily, Lance is supportive of my new desire to go to garage sales. As long as we don't have to pay full price for kids clothes or toys, he is happy.

4 comments:

Lindsay said...

Thanks, Kristi!

Also, I LOVE rummage sale-ing. So fun! Between the rummage sales, hand-me-downs, and shower gifts, I've been able to keep Garrett pretty well outfitted for his whole life so far. The only things I've had to buy are a few supplements and needed season-appropriate items. Used kids clothes are definitely the way to go. They're almost always in decent condition ('cause they don't wear them for very long), and why spend an arm and a leg on a wardrobe that will just get spit up on or grass stained? I'm glad you found some good finds. Have fun nesting!

jenerekfamily said...

Boy can I ever relate. You have to fill me in on all the good deals you find. :)

HunsakerMama said...

I'm also converted to the clearance rack! The trick is to check them as often as you can... the good stuff goes quick! I've found I pay the same price for new kid clothes on clearance as I would for used ones at a thrift store. I've tried to guess my daughter's sizes for next year, so I can buy seasonal clearance, but I'm obviously still a rookie, since she has some pink snowboots that will fit her this Summer! :) I really want to try yard-saleing, but our family tradition for Saturday morning has become sleeping in and having homemade breakfast. By the time that's over, and I get showered and dressed, the yard salers are closed!
Almost every day I think about you, and hope labor and delivery goes well for you!

Cordova House said...

No wonder we are kindrid spirits...I am a garage-seller and deal-finder at heart also. They have AMAZING consignment sales here in TN and they are so fun. I spent $95 and got enough clothes to last both the girls all summer! So cool. It really is quite a thrill.

Melissa