Monday, January 31, 2011

2010: A Blur

 I remember calling Lance from my usual all-day-long Saturday studying location as we were frantically trying to figure out how we were going to get everything done that weekend.  We needed 100 more hours than we had.  He needed to work all weekend on an important case at work.  I needed to make substantial progress on my graduate thesis if I wanted to graduate.  And our daughter needed us. We had a million things to do for our callings at church.  We both felt so alone and exhausted.  My first trimester was kicking me in the rear.  We needed help but really didn't have any family to rely on and already felt we had exhausted the kindness of our friends.  We both cried.  For a long time. (well, at least I was crying.  Lance probably just shed a tear or two.)  And then we wiped our eyes, made a plan for how we would proceed, said a little prayer, agreed this was the hardest thing we had ever gone through, and then hung up.  No use wasting more time on the phone when we already short so many hours.

This was 2010 for our family.  A blur of good memories and stressful times.  I didn't set any resolutions that year for a reason.  But we grew as a family and realized an important lesson.  Lance and I have each other.  And, with the help of the Lord, we have the strength to all things. 


Lance and Elisabeth attended RyGuy's and Britnee's wedding in Nebraska in March.

My brother Tommy came to visit for his annual visit.  We took a trip to Palm Springs and Disneyland.

I miraculously graduated with my Master's degree.  My Daddy'O came to witness this.

We celebrated 8 years of marital bliss with a three day get-a-way to Pismo Beach.
And awaited the birth of a baby boy.

We threw a HUGE graduation bash with my friend Katie Christenson at our home in June. 
Think we had about 100 guests attend.


Planned and attended the Smemoe/Richardson family reunion in August.
Attended Chris' and Princess Wendy's wedding in UT in August.

Welcomed the happiest and sweetest little boy, Carsten, to the world in October.
Natural childbirth was AWESOME.  Can't wait to do that again.

Hosted Chris, Loren and Dad Smemoe (and their spouses/families) for Thanksgiving weekend.
This is when we blessed the little man at church.

Spent a few days in the CHOC hospital after Carsten was diagnosed with RSV.

3 comments:

Lsmemoe said...

Phew! Busy year. Love you guys. You are amazing!

Becky W said...

Where did 2010 go?
You begin 2011 with your Masters' degree finished, TWO lovely children and beloved by family and friends.

The Leithead Family said...

Kristi, I lost your blog at some point and the only one I could find was the technical one you (used to?) write for. And I don't have your email address. Are you on Facebook? So you get the long comment here.

What a great year! (Now that it's over, right?) I really enjoyed giving birth here at home. I am looking forward to doing it again (but just one more time -- recovery kicked my butt this time, ...well, moreso than the the other times).

I'm loving my sweet, giggly boy too! He is so big already. And I know what it's like to have a baby in the hospital, though not as long as you. Jane had a 36 hour stay when she was a month old. (High fever from a cold.) I'm glad to hear that your little fella is recovered.

You and your family just keep getting more beautiful. Congratulations. Keep on plugging along! You're obviously doing a great job.

Erin.