Monday, July 30, 2007

A Rat, A Break-in, and Two Old Men

So, even though my weekend was mostly taken up by the reading of the Harry Potter book (Yes, I broke down and purchased it on Friday), I did manage to have a few exciting events happen while Lance was out of town.

The Rat. We decided to buy Sofi a Remy rat at Disneyland. Remy is the main character in the new Disney film Ratatouille. With Sofi, you never know what she is going to do with stuffed animals. Usually, she destroys them and tears out their insides. For some reason it was different with Remy. First, I caught her in this position in the hallway with her new friend.

Then, I caught her doing the following a few minutes later. Luckily, I already had my camera.

Who would have ever thought she would love this rat so much?

The Break-in. Naturally, I locked all of the windows and doors as soon as I got home from work on Friday - including the door between the kitchen and the garage. A woman who was going to be alone all night needed to take precautions. Deciding I better put on Sofi's flea repellent before I went to bed, (why, I don't know) I ventured into the garage to find it in one of our unpacked boxes. Sofi followed me and the kitchen door closed behind me. I discovered only seconds later that it was locked and I couldn't get back into my house. 10:00 p.m. at night, no shoes, no keys, and Lance thousands of miles away with our only other key. Luckily, my good friend Becky lives down the road so I roused her and her husband out of bed. An hour later, my trim around the door was removed, but Martin (Becky's husband) had successfully broken into my house. The good news is it took great effort for him to do it so I know our locks hold up well! I slept better all weekend knowing this.

Two Old Men. I spent most of Saturday with my good friend and adopted mom, Margaret. We went to the Carlsbad Outlet Mall to do a little shopping. While there, we decided to have a bite to eat at Ruby's Dinner at one of their outside tables. While we were eating, we noticed that two men walking by our table and grinning. They were definitely past their prime of life. Finally, one of them asked if they could join us for lunch. I am sure they were hitting on Margaret...at least I hope so! Anyway, we politely refused and they asked a few more times before they finally left. Hmmm....Can't say I have ever been hit on by an elderly gentleman. Needless to say, I am VERY glad Lance is home again, safe and sound.

4 comments:

Kara said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Kara said...

Well Kristi, after watching the video of the initial greeting of Sofi to Remy, I made the off hand comment that Ratatouille was a great movie, but who would buy a rat for their children to play with? As Sofi played, all I could think of was ROUSs. Little did I know that Loren had secretly bought me this character, and it was waiting for me back at home. Ari spilled the beans, and we all had a good laugh. Now Remy is in a basket overlooking my kitchen, and I have a chuckle every time I cook. It is sweet that Loren thinks I am a great chef. I think I will probably keep him there always. :)

Lindsay said...

That video of Sofi sure is fun! And what a break-in adventure! I'm glad it worked out.

heymaughan said...

This is all so funny! I am still laughing at the story of you being locked out of your house and your neighbor having to break in for you--what a classic! I'm glad you have your other half home again.