Monday, March 31, 2008

The Long Road Ahead


Here is a picture of what remains of a package of newborn diapers that Sofi hijacked yesterday while we were setting up the nursery. (Okay, she officially did it while Lance was playing the Wii and I was at a church meeting. Just a sign to Lance what is to come when he leaves the baby unattended! Yet another reason I do not like video games.)
She tore up half of the diapers to bits, spreading them all over our backyard and then managed to strew the rest near our sprinkler system. This morning I discovered 40 destroyed and water logged diapers in the backyard when I went out to play fetch with her.
*Sigh.* She was kinda sad yesterday as we were setting up the nursery, putting together baby swings, etc. She knows something is coming to change her life and I am assuming this is why she took the diapers. She is acting out like any older sibling would. Any advice on how to prepare this little beagle for her baby sister to come home????

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Maybe you could start carrying around a doll like a baby? I've never had a real pet like Sofi. I know that there are books about preparing the family dog for the new baby, though, like http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_ss_gw/002-4095391-6529638?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=dog+baby

Sorry...I'm not good at html.

Perhaps your vet has a good book to suggest?

Anonymous said...

http://www.cesarmillaninc.com/dogwhisperer/submissions.php

Untrained dogs scare me, but they are filming from LA, maybe you could get a professional to help.

Scott B. said...

You're overreacting. Your baby won't have the teeth or the hand strength to tear apart a box of diapers for many, many months.

Play on, Lance.

Lance and Kristi said...

Overreacting? Maybe. Lance appreciates your comment, though.

As for Anonymous: Sofi is trained to some extent and probably the least scary dog I have met. I don't think she would be "dog whisperer" material but maybe if they did a segment on introducing an infant into your home, she might be a good candidate.

Erin - I did read a book and we have tried out all of the things it said. I think we will just have to be consistent. I will check out that book , though. Better to get another opinion.

Anonymous said...

That is a funny sight! [well, funny and not so funny :-)]

This reminds me of my dog. He throws a fit everytime I leave (even if it's for 1 minute) and since he's confined, if I forget and leave something where he is he tears it up telling me of his displeasure.

He really is our 3rd baby. Wish I had advice. Good luck!